Monday, July 27, 2009

A Break from the Hotel

Saturday afternoon Rad's direct boss had us over for a cookout. It was funny to hear the kids on the way over to their house.

"Do they have kids? How many? How old?"

"Do they live in a 2-story house?"

"Will they have bratwurst?"

As it turns out, they have 2 girls. One is a couple of months older than Ben and the other is between Becca and Stephanie & Jessica. Our girls had a blast there. We forgot to grab swimsuits before going but they had suits the girls could borrow and a T-shirt to cover Jessica's because hers was a little big. They played in the pool most of the time. Ben stayed with the adults. Rad's boss showed Ben his archery bows. When their older daughter came home she was playing Rock Band so Ben ended up playing a few rounds with her.

Ben was very happy when they mentioned having bratwurst. Ben was introduced to them when the Mattox's had us over for dinner. He made himself sick eating so many at their home and has brought them up several times wanting to know when I plan on buying them. You can imagine how happy he was for his second experience.

Becca tried a veggie burger and liked it. I asked her on the way home if I were at a store that sold them would she want me to buy them and she said yes. I don't know what it is about ground beef that she doesn't like but I was excited that she is branching out a little more.

Lorelei gave me the recipe for a taco dip that Rad and Ben were chowing on. It was quite good. I was surprised Ben liked it because of the refried beans but he probably didn't realize. I won't tell him. It is great when the kids eat other places and try new things and find they like them.

We had a wonderful few hours visiting with them. It was so nice to have a break from the hotel and be able to chat with someone else.

Stephanie took a picture of the girls in the pool, not to mention a picture of a painting, precious moment figurines, animals, furniture, everyone there, . . . and the list goes on.

The other thing I keep hearing is how great it is to see so much water every day and it is so green here. Ben has decided he will live here. He will go away for college, a mission, more college, get married, go to New Mexico to visit (Jen you are on his list of people to visit he wanted to know if you would live there then). I remember how nice it was to have life planned out as a teenager, yet it is nothing like I thought it would be.

post signature