Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

It was a pretty relaxing day for me. Once the kids knew I was awake, they came to give me their cards and gifts. Ben made a card, Becca made a box card. This is something I make with measurements and she did it on her own. I can imagine how hard it was for her and how much thought she had to put into as she was making it. She gave me a coupon for 5 litter box cleanings. Jessica made a lot of cards, papers, and poems, not to mention a coupon book good for lots of helpful things. Stephanie planted cosmos and gave that to me along with a card and a tag that was from paper she made in a blender.

Before I go on, you have to know that Stephanie is into making up her own version of "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue". She gave her teacher a card on her birthday that said "Roses are red, violets are blue, who needs Santa when I have you." In a letter she wrote to her teacher for an end of year gift, among many flattering things she wrote, "Roses are red, violets are blue, who needs school when I have you." Her point being she doesn't need school because she already learned everything from her teacher. So, today in my card a portion reads, "Roses are red, violets are blue, who needs a dad when I have a mom like you." I find that funny and know that next month on Father's Day it will be me that is getting tossed out and Rad will be hot cheese on a cracker. I'll just enjoy the moment for now.

The kids set the table with the nice dishes and I got to use my plate that I picked up Friday. They made scrambled eggs and bacon. Aside from the flowers on our table, they also put several vases of flowers on the counter to make it look nicer. I couldn't go into the kitchen when they were doing this so Rad took pictures for me.

Becca asked me what I wanted today and I suggested nobody bickering would be a nice thing. Not too long after that I heard "Beeennnnn" and one of the girls hurried to the kitchen where Stephanie and Ben were to say, "you're ruining mom's day." That was enough, they did their best not to be grumpy with each other. They were sweet in all they did to make today nice for me.