Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2013 Art of Sand

This year Art of Sand was held at the zoo.  It was nice to visit the zoo again and it is nice that it runs so long compared to previous years.  I hope they find another place next year.  The shading from the trees didn't work too well when taking pictures.  As always, the work of the sculptors is impressive.
The theme this year is "Wild Florida:  Past, Present and Future."  The first sculpture in the exhibit is "When giants ruled Florida."  The prehistoric period.
"Hunting a Glyptodon" (prehistoric hunters)
"The Windover People" - They lived here 8,000 years ago.
"Pre-Contact Natives Hunting Deer"
"Ponce de Leon Landing in Florida: 1513"
"Spanish Settlers Bring Livestock to the New World"

"European Native/Florida Resident" (wild boar)

"Florida Cracker Cowboys"


The horse is beautifully done.  I love the details of the background.

I had to take a picture of the lizard that they made from sand as well.  Amazing.



"Likeness of Audubon"
 "Florida Bird Life"

 "Modern Megafauna"



"Gopher Tortoise Inn"

 "Coming and Going"

 






    Ben posing . . .

Acting out the Lion King when Rafiki held up Simba.  He is holding up Stephanie's giraffe.

After the zoo, we had lunch and played a couple games of bowling.  I don't think any leagues will be looking for us but there were quite a few strikes and spares. 
post signature