Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nursery Rhymes

I was working on the baby shower that I'm throwing this Saturday and quizzed the girls (S&J) on nursery rhymes. I'm often reminded that they don't really know nursery rhymes. Out of 15 rhymes, they got 1/3 right.

Here are some of their responses (in bold) to the ones they didn't know.

Little Jack Horner sat in a corner, eating his cracker.
Peter Piper picked a peck of pizza (first response, then she said peppers)
One, two, buckle my shoe, three, four, tie my shoe.
There was an old woman who lived in a golden house (first response, then she said shoe).
Hey diddle, diddle the kiddle and the fiddle
Peter, Peter pumpkin-eater had a wife but couldn't eat her.

Part of me thinks I should feel sad about their not being familiar with nursery rhymes but I can't say that I am. They are both strong readers so I guess reading books vs. nursery rhymes isn't detrimental.
post signature