Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tracking

Rad has been working with some boys from the troop on a tracking merit badge that BSA is offering this year as part of their anniversary. It needs to be completed by the end of the year. I've gotten to go on a couple of the outings. After the first time out with them, I learned to bring my camera so I could take some pictures. We went to the beach first so they could track human footprints.
Then I took them to a park while Rad went back to work. We went on a couple of trails and tracked a raccoon.
We went to another park but I misunderstood the directions and we ended up following a pelican in flight for a couple of miles. Ben took some pictures of it flying and once it landed. I couldn't believe how long it flew in search of food before it finally stopped. I called Rad to try to get to where I was supposed to be and he was wrapping up for the day and met us at the next park.
We were in search of gopher tortoise tracks there and we didn't find any fresh ones. They did see deer, rabbit, dog, worm and I don't know what else. I think the boys have enough from their 3-4 times out to put together their presentation and pass off the badge now. Yay!

post signature