Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Trot

Today was the Turkey Trot, which is a 5K/10K race.  The cub scouts from our ward hand out the water to the runners at the half way point of the run.  This was the second year that the girls and I helped out with the race.  Ben is usually playing football and Rad runs it.
The tables ended up divided and on both sides of the road.  The cub scouts were on one side and we were on the other.
We ran out of cups.  After all of the 5K runners were through and the 10K were still going and looking hot, one of the leaders got a couple cases of water from their car and we handed out those 48 bottles.
We had a sea of people at this point.  (That is Adam, 782.)  The race had online registration and same day registration.  They said they weren't going to sign anyone in the day of the race because they reached the cap of 700.  They ended up registering almost 200 more.
There's Ben running his first 5K race.  His time was 35:08.  I don't think that is too bad given he doesn't run and didn't make any effort to train for it.  Rad is proud of him for doing it.
After we were done at the water station, the girls and I set off for the country club to find Ben.  We ended up with a police escort.
A picture of Ben and Adam that someone in Adam's family took.  After the run, Ben went with Adam's family to play football.  He came home 20 minutes before the food was served.  Perfect timing.
I had the kids pick their "must haves" and w ended up having turkey, stuffing, peas, corn, squash, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, rolls (new favorite recipe), sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.  Dessert will be pumpkin pie and cherry cobbler, although I'm not sure anyone will be up for dessert.
post signature