I don't know why the pictures are flipping. They are facing the right way in my files. The kids and I went to the Enchanted Forest. Yes, there is a place called the Enchanted Forest here in Florida. We spent 10 minutes listening to a presentation on what oysters do (prevent against erosion, provide food & shelter for animals and clean the water). We learned how they are washed up, especially in one area, how they gather the shells, volunteers drill a hole and more volunteers you the plastic zip ties to secure them to a mesh mat. They are then anchored on the floor of the river for oysters to attach themselves to because they are gregarious creatures.

Becca already had experience do this in school and offered us pointers before we started. She warned us that our hands would smell from it too. Some of the shells were incredibly slimy. We spent just under 2 hours working on the mats. The kids and I used 8 gallons of oyster shells and made 15 mats.